2.16.2011

Prayer update: Solid Foundations

It's 3:36 am.

Yes you read that right. Earlier it was torrentially raining and my internet wasn't working. When I say torrential I am not kidding. I was shouting at my sister, Grace, who was less than a foot away, because of the noise. When the rain stopped I think the silence woke me up... or the almost silence.

Drums. Chanting. This appears to be the marathon of voodoo ceremonies. Currently they are somewhere between hour 12 and 13. I'm actually really suprised they didn't stop for the rain!

Because I'm up, and because the rain stopped, (but really because I'm so excited about it) I figured I'd do a short ish update on what is going on here spiritually.  I am so excited for this upcoming week and would love for those of you that see this to commit to daily praying for the church here!

Gersan, the pastor that I am partnered with is here in the village this week and will be going through a foundational class with the church members and others who are interested!! I can't even begin to tell you how much they need this. This is a very basic, but important class that Gersan teaches in Port Au Prince to the baptism class in order to be sure that people understand and have a good, solid foundation in Christ. But here, he is doing it with the whole church!

Here is where the church is now: They have a body of members that loves the Lord. They really do. They Love Jesus and call Him their Savior, and love that God is their Father. But the vast majority of them have no idea what any of that means. They don't know why they need a Savior, they don't know that you can't lose your salvation. They think that Salvation is by works and baptism, and they don't understand grace and faith. They are not recieving sound biblical teaching from their pastor, nor is he setting a half decent example of living a life of integrity and character. He is muddling the gospel and honestly has told some of us that he would rather be doing other things than pastoring this church. To add to the problem, many people in this area cannot read, and if they can its only Kreyol. The Kreyol Bible is not the best translation, in many ways it is more of a paraphrase or interpretation like the Message, and so they do not have the resources to feed themselves God's word, but are relying on the church, which is not delivering well. And there are many other struggles that they face as well.

I have been praying since I got here that God would raise up a man who fears God ONLY, who lives and breathes God's word. A man with leadership and boldness, with love and wisdom, someone who can speak the truth to these people and love them fiercely. I have been praying for a man of integrity to rise up from this village and shepherd and disciple this flock. Someone who will pour God's word into their hearts and help them gain a firm foundation. Their houses are built not on rock, but on sand. And, as we have seen tonight, the rain does come! (and so do the earthquakes! but not tonight thankfully)

How to Pray: This week, while Gersan is here he will be teaching this foundational class. His first class took place tonight and he said there were about 20 people there. Pray for him, and for the students as they walk through this class together. After class tonight Gersan said that one of the most difficult things may be for him to go slow enough to make sure that everyone understands.
This is a class with NO spiritual background in truth, but rather lies and distortions of truth. Even after hearing the truth it is very hard to change the thinking and ideas that people have had for years and years. Pray for wisdom for Gersan, and for open and soft hearts towards the truth for the people. Thankfully truth shines greater, peirces further, and stands stronger than lies. Gersan is a man that loves the Bible more than anyone else I've ever met. He loves God and loves truth. Pray that God will give him wisdom to speak truth into their hearts. Pray for the body, and for each individual. Pray that they will understand! One of the beautiful things about Christ is that faith, while we make it so hard sometimes, is really so simple! Pray that they will grasp that. Pray that God will be raising up in this village a man, after God's heart, full of truth and wisdom, and love and patience.

Just pray.
If you want to commit to praying (and getting your friends to pray too, hint hint!) it would greatly bless me, the Valcins, and most of all the church body of Ti Guinea. I would love to know that you are praying daily! I promise to post more updates as the week goes on. Leave a comment or Facebook me and let me know that you are praying!

Also, it is 4:19 and appears that the voodoo ceremony is over. That aspect of life here is a million prayer requests as well. But for tonight, I'm finished.

Goodnight.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am praying. Richard

Nathan & Jessica Sliter said...

Noelle, Just wanted to say we're praying for you here in Ohio! (this is Jessica "whitten"). So glad I saw your post. I have actually been thinking about you this week, as I crocheted, and as I prayed for Haiti. My little boy Levi was born on Jan 13, but we got to the hospital on Jan 12, and the news of the earthquake is what we watched all night long during my labor. So while we celebrated his first birthday a few weeks ago, my heart was reminded to keep praying for Haiti. May God bless y'all richly this week and may you see Him in even the little things!

Kate said...

I'm praying for you...and posting this update on my FB so that my family and friends can pray, too.

Did you get my card that's dated for tomorrow? Did you "cheat" and open it early? If not, know when you open it tomorrow that I'm thinking about you and praying for you!

Rebecca said...

Your heart for the people of Haiti is such a strong reminder of God's work that is already happening there. Without people willing to do what you are doing, Haiti could easily be forgotten. I will be praying that a man will be shaped to fill the need of the church there and for you as you do God's ministry there. Thanks for your willingness to serve the Lord! -Rebecca

Lia Joy said...

Noelle -

I am praying! For you. For wisdom for Gersan. For the church body. I will ask my family to pray too!

You are an incredible woman of God and I am thankful to call you a friend!

10,000 Blessings,
Lia Joy

Unknown said...

I sooo appreciate your updates Noelle! I read every single blog and feel like I am right there in Ti Ginen. I will be praying for Gersan as he goes forward with his teaching and for you! Sounds like your teaching at the school is quite rewarding and moving along very well. Thanks for keeping up your blog regularly.
Marilyn

Steph said...

hey you!

#1 you are the sweetest thing ever! thanks for your comment today. when you said my blog was "homey," Ah! oh my word...that's the greatest compliment ever!

#2 this was a great update. very insightful. i will certainly be praying for the church and the challenges it is facing. thankfully, we can rejoice that our God is great and He is faithful to complete His work!


thankful for you! miss you.
s

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...