9.05.2010

Food blog... and random blathering

So its been a while since I've blogged. I've really missed it.

School has started off wonderfully. I'm enjoying my classes, classmates and teachers. The beginning of fall semester is like a second chance at a New Years resolution. The Rec center on campus is packed, people are running on all the sidewalks, the produce section in HEB is packed, and everyone is ordering sugar-free skinny lattes.


The promise of August is fresh in the air. THIS is the (academic) year that things will be different. If you failed at your 2010 New Years Resolution, then no worries, here's your second chance. That's the beauty of living in a semester world!

So, you know me, I don't turn down bandwagons. I jump right on them wholeheartedly. Some of the bandwagons I jumped on...


Sperry's


Rainboots



V- necks



Tempo Nike Running shorts
Vera Bradley. My closet kinda looks like this!

And, last, but not least, Uggs. Used to hate them... Now I love them.

I realize Those are all clothing trends. But they are all I could think of at the moment. So here I am, jumping on the "New Years resolution in the Fall" bandwagon.

I'm working out more, trying to eat healthier, cook more, and make up recipes.
I also hope to:

-Take more pictures
-Invest deeply in friendships
-Get involved at my Church
-Live simply. (Less stuff, less cost, more healthy, more natural, less clutter in my life)

So for our fall resolutions, my roommate, Kylie and I have decided to cook more. Tonight was our first endeavor.
We made some mistakes, but eventually it all turned out yummy.

Our first mistake is that we tried to unload groceries, clean out our ice box (read: refrigerator), and start cooking all at the same time.

First adventure= cleaning out the ice box. Its difficult when you share the same fridge with 3 non-family members. You only pay attention to your own food, but sometimes you forget what you have, or you assume that the coffee creamer or chili that's been in the same place for somewhere between 3 and 10 months is your roommates. Tonight, since 2 of the 3 of us were home we did an icebox cleanse. Turns out that the creamer and chili was Meg's. She moved out last November :/

Second adventure= cooking while distracted by trashing old food. Also, meet my nemesis, the electric stove top. I just hate this thing.
Whatever happened to good old gas grill with real fire? How hard was that?

Dear real old-fashioned fire stove top,

I miss you.

I miss how I could turn you off and the heat would almost immediately subside. I miss how I could just look at your flames and know how hot you were burning. Now I have to guess by looking at how often the burner flashes red hot. Its awful. Come back to me.

Sincerely, Noelle G.


Tonight while distracted and cooking on my electric stove my chicken boiled over not once, but twice. Nothing bad. Just made a mess.

Despite the chicken mishaps my food turned out great!

I was very happy with the turnout. Here's how I did it.


-Start by cutting a big tomato in half and scooping out the insides. I lightly salted the tomato around the edges so it would dehydrate in the oven. *Warning* I have no idea if that's what happened or if I made that up. But I thought it sounded good.
-Add the tomato guts to your chopped chicken along with some spinach, green bell peppers, and a pinch of Mozzarella cheese, and anything else you like



-Scoop this mixture into your empty tomato shell.
-Add a little cheese on topBake for about 10 minutes then broil for 3ish minutes until it browns a teeny bit.

Place in a colorful dish and serve. If its too dry you can add a drop or two of your favorite salad dressing, but hopefully the tomato gets good and juicy in the oven.

Enjoy!






1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey! Yay to blogging about cooking!

And yes, you did the right thing by salting the tomato before cooking it...for two reasons...1) you always want to season your veggies before cooking so that they have flavor! and 2) salt will help draw out the juices (or liquid) so that things like tomatoes don't get to mushy when you cook them. Looks super tasty! Another fun thing to add on the top of stuffed tomatoes is a little bit of butter breadcrumbs. They get golden brown on top and add a little bit of crunch!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...