2.03.2011

Lets compare and contrast....

Ok. So I know we've all written compare and contrast papers. I am a little out of practice, so I thought I'd choose something easy with lots of differences. How about.....                           ... Yesterday and today?

EASY. here goes.
Yesterday... awful.
Today... awesome.

need details?

So yesterday I woke up (later than I had hoped), I wanted to go up on the mountain to do my quiet time and pray, but it was too hot by the time I woke up to go, so instead of really enjoying my time, I rushed through quiet time. I spent the morning working on my kreyol and preparing for school, but preparation was difficult because I still wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Around noon I headed to the school for my first English class. I was pretty excited, but also a little nervous. I mean, I can speak English, but that doesn't mean I can teach it! I struggled through class, the kids didn't really understand what I was trying to teach them. (Good morning, how are you?) I mean. I didn't really think it was THAT difficult?! There were about 30 students in my class, maybe more. (I took a picture, but accidentally deleted it.) I ended class after about 30 minutes because I couldn't think of anything else to say. (When you have a limited vocabulary its easy to run out of things to say!) I trudged back to the camp compound where I live with a somewhat heavy heart. I was a little discouraged, I mean, I didn't think "Hey how are you?" was that hard. But whatever. I got home and this lady said something in a rude tone to me in Kreyol like she was mad at me. Having no clue who she was I brushed it off and decided maybe she had me mixed up with the other white girl that lives in the village... (for those of you new to this blog... I am the only white girl for miles around.) Well I was informed about 15 minutes later that she was here to see me. So I walk back and ask her what she's here for. Turns out she was one of the patients that we treated last week at the clinic and she had a diabetic ulcer on her foot that she wanted me to put a dressing on. "Ok. no big deal. I can do that!" As we were walking over she said a few things that were not very nice and hurt my feelings (remember, I'm already a little hypersensitive because of school not going well.)

here begins the mood. This mood affected my understanding of Kreyol somehow. I couldn't understand anything that anyone was saying to me. Maybe I wasn't trying anymore. I don't know.

I spent the rest of the afternoon halfway between Eyore and Oscar the grouch. Except Oscar only said mean things in my head in English. Janet, the lady who makes food for me was there, she got upset and impatient when I couldn't understand her, then a few other people came and tried to help translate. This escalated into me feeling like they were talking to me like a little baby alien. They were using baby Kreyol AND treating me like I was from outer space. I had to fight tears for 4 hours straight. It was awesome. I knew that I was in a bad mood and just needed a good 10 minute cry and an attitude adjustment, but I am supposed to stay in the kitchen when Janet is here, which, yesterday was for 4 hours. So the mood just got worse and worse. I started crying 6 times...
Finally she finished and I told my roommate that I was tired and going to bed. What I wanted to do was go be somewhere alone and cry forever. Mostly because I was frustrated because I was in a bad mood. I struggled a lot with the "why am I here" question and came up with no answers.
Anyway. the night ended with me going to bed at 5pm. I decided it was best just to sleep it off. Which I did. 13 hours later I woke up feeling much better. Which brings us to TODAY.




TODAY was great.
I woke up early enough to go up on the mountain to do my quiet time, but we found 4 inches of water in the pantry... I guess we found the lowest spot on the slab! Oh well, TIH-this is Haiti. We spent the next hour or so trying to get all the water out of the pantry. At least I was working with friends. P.S. I did work when they let me, I think there is a rule that whiteys can't sweep... little do they know what a great sweeper I am (inherited that trait from my mom.)




So here we are sweeping water out of the pantry. Don't be fooled by the iceboxes... not plugged in. haha.

So after this little hiccup in the day everything was smooth sailing. I felt like I could understand almost everything said to me and actually had a few conversations that weren't pertinent to life. Like, just hanging out and talking type of conversations. It was great. Before school I called Gersan and Betty, my Haitian parents, and they prayed with me over the phone. It is such an encouragement to me to know that they (and my American parents) are in full support of what I am doing. Even when I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything here. Or I feel like I can't do anything worthwhile, they tell me they are glad I'm here and that they KNOW I am blessing people and loving people. So after praying with Gersan I headed off to school. Guerline, my roommate, and Tala the lady who climbed the mountain with me on Tuesday said they would miss me. As I was leaving Guerline yelled at me, "Mwen renmen ou, anpil!" (I love you a lot!) That made my whole trip worth it!!
I went to school all prayed for and feeling more confident. Today school went much better, probably because the students were older, or maybe they just hid their confusion better than the little ones. I'll never know.
After school I came back to camp and did some more hanging out and chatting with my friends here. Today I understood almost everything! And I learned some new words...which is always a plus!

Overall. Today was much better! God is good. So very good. I'm trying to keep myself not focused on what I see myself actually accomplishing (I mean, its ridiculous to think I can have the whole village speaking English in 3 days.)


 I decided today that my motto, at least for the week is:

"Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you. Bind them around your neck. Write them on the tablet of your heart." Prov. 3:3

1 comment:

Jim Cook said...

Noelle, just want you to know that I am praying for you. God, please let Noelle see in at least some part the impact you are making through her. Please be tender to her and show her your goodness even in the bad days. Let her know and feel your love in the deepest ways. Thank you for loving her enough to sacrifice your son. Thank you for Noelle and the joy of following her journey and encourage her in the knowledge that there are many praying for her and loving her from afar. Amen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...