1.23.2011

Lazy Sunday

As I sit here on a lazy Sunday I can't help but be terribly thankful for what I have and for being blessed with the opportunity of being here. I missed church this morning because I was a little under the weather, but I sat on my porch and spent some time with my Savior. I listened to the sound of singing in the church nearby and I heard the little boys that live next door singing as well... guess they didn't go to church either. Tonight I am sitting on the porch once again and can hear singing in the distance. Haitians sing so beautifully, its such a priveledge to live here and be able to hear them praise our God.

Today was a true day of rest. Much needed may I add. There has been a team of 7 from Minnesota here and they have been running a little clinic in the village. So far they have seen 300 patients and treated many for worms, infections, blood pressure, stomach problems, skin infections, and generalized pain. The people in this village need so much and it has been so great to see them improve even over the past few days. There was one girl with a horrible fungal skin condition. I had seen her for the past few weeks and couldn't tell what was going on with her. Her skin just looked dirty and had white flakes on her face and hair and there was always a swarm of gnats around her head. The kids in the village were not mean to her, but they didn't seem like they wanted her too close either. We gave her some anti-fungal cream and I saw her this afternoon. She looks 100 times better and happy!! Its such a blessing to see what a little bit of cream will do and how that can change the life of a little girl, who is about to have enough problems as she hits the awkward stage that hits all kids like a freight train and all adults look back at and laugh awkwardly. I hope for her this skin condition is gone for good and she can live the carefree childhood that she deserves.

It has been such a joy and a pleasure to work with this team. They are all very experienced nurses and one is a PA, who is functioning as our, very capable doctor. We held clinic Tuesday-Saturday and today was our day of rest. We will continue to do clinics Monday through Wednesday and the team will leave to head back to the -30 degree weather that is in Minnesota.

So I'm thankful for the opportunity that I have been given to live here and see these people's lives change. I'm glad that I will be here to see the patients improve and continue to grow. Its been such a blessing over the last few years to see the village grow and change and see my friends get older.

So on this lazy sunday afternoon I've done a lot of thinking. I feel as if I have been here for a long time, but at the same time not. I feel like I have so many things to do and I'm leaving so soon, but I'm really not. I decided not to be stressed, or even really think about the amount of time I'll have here, but sit, enjoy the singing going on around me, and be thankful for the time I have here!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...