1.25.2011

10 on Tuesday

So I have this friend, and she lives in Africa with her new husband. She has this great blog. You should check it out here. Point being, she does this cool thing called the 10 on 10, where on the 10th day of each month she posts 10 pictures to document her day. That way people back home will have an idea of what a 'normal' day in Africa looks like for Katy.

As soon as I saw Katy's 10 on 10 I decided I wanted to do it on my blog. But there are a few problems.
#1. I am only going to be in Haiti for 5 months therefore only giving me five 10 on 10s. So I decided to call it 10 on Tuesday and do it that way, which will give me an excuse to load lots of pictures once a week. Sounds like a great idea right? Well....

Problem #2 is that the internet that I have here is not very good. It is too slow to add pictures. AND I won't have it for a few more weeks which will cause me to miss a few more Tuesdays.

So I have decided to draw word pictures for the next couple of 10 on Tuesdays and you can imagine what things are like here until I get better internet.

Here goes my first official 10 on Tuesday - word edition

  1. eating a pb&j Sandwich for breakfast
  2. Walking down the road from camp to the clinic (which meets at the school/church building. I'm planning on posting a photo tour as soon as I get good internet.) There is a house at the corner that has somewhere between 7 and 12 kids and when I walk by they all shout "Noelle! Noelle! Noelle!" Its so adorable. The snapshot of the house this morning would look something like this: one kid totally naked and soaped up for his bath. One kid standing dripping wet in the bucket taking a bath, one kid with just his shirt on playing in the dirt. one little girl sorting the charcoal into piles in the yard, and other miscellaneous children peeking around trees or playing in the yard.
  3. counting tablets of high blood pressure medicine in the pharmacy
  4. getting distracted by the baby that totally needed me to hold her for an hour. So adorable.
  5. missing getting peed on by the baby. (I put her down for less than 4 minutes and when I went back to get her.... pee. streaming down her legs.... at least it wasn't on my shirt. No diapers here.)
  6. going on a walk with Gersan to look at his new land that was purchased last week. He showed me the mahogany, bannana, mango, coconut, and oak trees that are on it. Also showed me where the future road will be and where the future permanent residences will be located.
  7. Road trip to Cap Haitian to take Gersan to the airport.
  8. Grocery store trip. The grocery store was the size of a gas station, And I'm not talking buc-ees. I have no idea how they got everything to fit in there.
  9. Dinner and hanging out in the kitchen with Betty, Boss Varis, Alicia, Jerome, and Danger, our driver... Our driver's name is danger... sounds safe?
  10. Ending the day sitting in my cabin on skype and blogging.
And these are small wordy snapshots of my day.
They say a picture says a thousand words... Too bad I don't have picture capabilities.

P.S. I have the beginning of about 4 blogs in my head. There are a lot of neat things happening in this village! Keep the prayers coming!

2 comments:

Katy {and Kahler} said...

yay! this was fun! i loved this little glimpse into your life there. we have terrible internet days too (luckily its not every day). i edit my pictures in picasa and save them to a low quality and then start uploading them and WALK AWAY. go bake cookies, muffins, read a book. :)

what about a 10 on saturday/sunday sometime? i want to see your weekends too!

i also want to know more about what's at the grocery store and what kind of cooking facilities you have access to. i thought i was going to die when we got here, but we've since learned a lot.

thanks for taking the time to share. we should skype (at least chat) soon. i think trying to skype w/ both of our internet connections combined is a recipe for disaster.

Jenna B. said...

Noelle, I LOVE your creativity and making the best out of whatcha got. :) Pictures or not, it's fun to read how you described them.
Love and prayers ~ Jenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...