4.19.2011

10 on Tuesday

I have recently realized how strange my life is. Today I figured I'd use the 10 on Tuesday to highlight some weirdly strange things about my life that seem normal. Let me clarify, there are far more than 10 things that are weird about my life. These are simply the ones that stood out to me in the past few days.

1. I brush my teeth standing on my porch. In the mornings, there are usually 5-10 people at camp and so I brush my teeth with them around. Its very strange to brush your teeth with an audience. And slightly uncomfortable.

2. The other day I was talking to the lady that makes my food. I had to choose what part of the chicken I wanted. Want to know my choices? Head, neck, heart, liver, gizzard, or feet."ummmmmm. pass?"
In Haiti, feet are a treasured part of the chicken. On Saturdays I eat soup. The lady that cooks for me told me she was going to make soup for me and put the feet in it.... for about 30 mintues I acted like I was fine with it. Then I couldn't handle it any longer and I told her, as politely as possible in kreyol, "Madam Marcel, thank you for wanting to make me a delicious soup. But I want to give you the chicken feet. You can take them home and cook them.... frankly, I'm afraid of chicken feet." She laughed and thanked me for the wonderfu gift of chicken feet. I considered that a win, win. I didn't have to eat chicken feet AND I made her happy.

3. There is always the occasional frog/spider/other bug that somehow finds its way into my house and or clothing. I am completely disgusted with myself when I find a spider or bug in my clothes and just calmly brush it off or remove it from my person. Who am I?

4. I have a question for you. how big is the towel you use when you get out of the shower? Is it made of terry cloth? Ok. Well for the past 4 months I have been using a tiny little shammy-type cloth towel that is not much larger than a hand towel. I discovered a terry cloth towel a week or so ago, and have been feeling incredibly pampered each time I take a shower because I have a regular sized-terry cloth towel to look forward to.

5. Speaking of showering. When I get more than one shower in a week I feel like I've acheived something. This may be too much information, but whatever... I've never claimed to be anything but brutally honest on this blog. I am, looking forward to showering like a regular human being again. I may even shower twice a day to make up for all the showers I've missed over the past 4 months.

6. I talked to my mom this weekend and she said she was telling a friend of ours about some of my stories. He couldn't believe the things I had versus the things I didn't have. (So last week I went for 5 days without running water. We were out. There was simply no water. This is part of the reason I shower less often. You never know when you'll run out of water and be covered in soap.) Our friend couldn't believe this news, "You mean to tell me that they have cell phones, but no running water??" I hadn't thought it was all that strange until phrased that way. Oh Haiti, always an adventure!

7. It is strange to me that I can go an entire day without speaking a word of English. I suposse this is how bi-lingual people are. If you speak more than one language this may not seem weird to you. But its very weird to me. I've even caught myself thinking and dreaming in Kryeol. Very strange. But I'm not complaining, its kinda cool!

8. One thing that had never happened to me in the states, and now happens to me almost every day.... Being covered in mango juice. These mangos are super ripe, and super juciy. Many times I feel like I need to shower after eating one. There is always a small puddle at my feet when I finish, and mango juice dripping down my hands the entire time I eat it. Again, I'm not complaining. I'll miss that when I come home!

9. I've never claimed to be an early-bird. You can ask my mom about the joys of waking me up when I was little. I used to be a night-owl. Now.... I don't know what I am. My younger friends in college called me a grandma for most of my Junior and Senior year. I think its true. But being in Haiti has made me somewhat of an early bird. I am usually out of bed by 8 at the latest.... mostly because it starts getting hot at 8 and if you stay in bed you feel like you are going to cook there. I'm starting to love waking up early, but also looking forward to air conditioning and being able to sleep late!

10. I know I mention this a lot... but its true. I miss hugs. I'll admit it. I'm a hugger. I usually make sure that I get at least one good hug a day when I'm in the states. At least! I have not had a hug in almost a month. Good hug, bad hug, side hug, nothing. This is not normal for me. It may be normal for some of you, and if it is I pity you. So be prepared, I will probably tackle hug some of you when I see you for the first time. Wear your football pads!


Have a happy Tuesday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously God is at work if you are no longer terrified of bugs and spiders. Also, I very specifically remember packing towels for you. I hope you find them, so that you can feel pampered after every shower. Rest assured that hundreds of hugs are being stored in our hearts, awaiting your return. We love you! Always, Mom

Rebecca said...

Your posts are always so creative and fun to read. Thank you for keeping us up to date! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...