12.16.2010

The shadow of death

I just found out that two children from Little Guinea died this week. 

One developed Cholera symptoms yesterday afternoon and died last night at the hospital in Limbe. He was 10 years old, a student a the school where I'll be teaching, and a relative of a friend of mine.


The other boy died last night. I am unsure of all the details. He was 15 years old. However, from what I know this wasn't a Cholera related death. Apparently he hadn't had used the restroom at all for 2 days. He came home with a fever last night and died this morning. That's all I know about his case.

This is so heartbreaking and tragic for so many reasons. The family of the second boy will probably never even know what killed him. Its possible and probable that he was severely dehydrated, but I don't think anyone will ever really know. The one that died of Cholera was just too far along before they got him help. I cannot even imagine what it feels like to bury a child. Please pray that the Lord will comfort these families.God has been SO faithful to me and to that country. None of this caught Him by surprise. He knew the number of hairs on their heads and the days of their lives. I know that he will be faithful to comfort their hearts!


I wanted to share this mainly so you can join me in prayer. I am heartbroken for these families right now and somewhat fearful for the rest. This is the first instance of Cholera originating in the village. There have been a few cases, but they have been in the surrounding areas. Now that this has happened there are little Cholera germs running around. Please join me in prayer that the Cholera will not spread to the village I love.

There is a team of 3 from Frontier Camp that will be arriving tomorrow. They have done a lot of studying and working on their Kreyol and on understanding Cholera. Hopefully they will be able to start doing some education and sanitation projects (in their free time.) The main purpose of their trip is to build bunk beds for Jacob's Well Youth Camp. This way when the rest of the team from Frontier Camp arrives we will be able to host an overnight camp for the children.

Pray for these families. I don't know what they stand spiritually, but I do know that Christ has beaten death. I hope that these boys knew the Lord and that through their deaths Christ will be glorified.

3 comments:

Katy {and Kahler} said...

oh, this is heartbreaking. i hate to watch tragedy like this attack "the least of these". I am praying for the team on their trip. I cannot wait to hear what they get to do for the Kingdom.

on a happier note, I love the new look! :)

Anonymous said...

What unnecesary death. The familes of these precious children are in my prayers. And prayers for you and your team.

Beth Daugherty said...

Joining you in prayer for all the people in Haiti. Thank you for your blog.

Daniel sent me the link to your blog. I'm glad he did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...